BitDefender is a quickly up-and-coming Internet security brand, which has gained lots of attention over the past few years based on its great Internet security software. Although smaller than many of its competitors, BitDefender often gets great reviews for its Internet security products, proving that bigger is not always better. In fact, BitDefender was named Antivirus Product of the Year 2013 by PCmag.com, and AV-Test named it the best solution for already infected computers.
BitDefender Total Security 2015 goes farther than many other types of security software. In addition to complete malware protection (viruses, hackers, spyware, spam, & more), firewall solution and parental control, BitDefender Total Security also gives you PC backup and system maintenance tools to keep your data protected and your PC running smoothly.
BitDefender Total Security Key Features
- Advanced proactive protection – BitDefender Total Security 2015 protects your computer against all types of malware, for example Trojans, worms, rootkits, spyware, spam and adware. Web traffic, email, IMs, etc. are scanned and filtered even before they reach your browser, using In-the-Cloud technology. A built-in Search Advisor gives you advance warning of risky websites when you search the web. BitDefender utilizes Bitdefender Photon™, an innovative technology that gradually adapts to your PC, accelerating scanning speed without slowing down your PC.
- Backup & tuneup tools + Online storage – BitDefender Total Security has a built-in backup tool that backups and safeguards all your data (photos, movies, music and other important files), by placing it on a secure online server. The built-in tuneup tools removes unnecessary files and registry entries to keep your computer running smoothly.
- Family network security - With BitDefender’s Family Network Security feature you can manage the security of your whole home network from a single location. BitDefender software can be configured remotely, while scans, updates, etc., can be run on-demand or scheduled during off-hours.
- IM encryption - With BitDefender Total Security 2015’s instant messaging encryption, you can be sure no outsider can get access to your IM conversations.
- Built-in firewall - BitDefender’s built-in firewall controls the Internet access of various application, while making your computer invisible from hackers. It also notifies you when computers log in to your Wi-Fi network.
- Parental control - With BitDefender Total Security’s parental control feature you can rest ensured that your children are protected from inappropriate websites and e-mail messages. You can also set your BitDefender to allow or block web access during specified intervals, and even monitor what your children do online from an iPhone, smart phone, or PC.
- Easy to use - BitDefender Total Security is perfect for any user. It is very easy to use; you can basically install it and forget about it. Green and red icons in the interface show you the status of your protection. For users with more specific needs, the software is easy to customize. Silent security is offered through Bitdefender Autopilot™, a tool that automatically makes the best possible security-related decisions for you.
- Hourly updates - By default, BitDefender updates every hour to make sure you always have the latest protection for your computer. You can also update the software manually or set it to update at times that you decide.
- Low system usage - BitDefender Total Security 2015 is a light product that doesn’t use up your system resources. In addition it scans and updates very quickly. For game players, there is a Gamer Mode, which temporarily modifies your protection settings when you are playing games.
- FREE 24 hour technical support - For your convenience, BitDefender’s security experts are available whenever you have a question; even in the middle of the night. Phone, email or chat is up to you, and there is also a user forum available for user-to-user support.
BitDefender Total Security 2015 System Requirements
In order to install and run BitDefender Total Security 2015, your computer must meet the following system requirements:
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Service Pack 1
- Microsoft® Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit), Service Pack 2
- Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit), Service Pack 3
- Minimum: 800MHz processor; Recommendation: Intel CORE Duo (1.66 GHz) or equivalent processor
- Minimum: 1 GB of RAM; Recommendation: 1 GB (Microsoft Windows XP), 1.5 GB (Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows 8)
- Minimum: 1.8 GB free space (at least 800 MB on the system drive); Recommendation: 2.8 GB free space (at least 800 MB on system drive)
- Internet Explorer® 7.0 or higher
- .NET Framework 3.5 (automatically installed by Bitdefender if necessary)
- Firefox 3.6 and higher
- Thunderbird 3.0.4
- Outlook 2007, 2010
- Outlook Express and Windows Mail on x86
BitDefender User Reviews
share your experience with BitDefender by using the form below!
No constant annoying popups
I’ve been using BitDefender Total Security for a few years now, and it’s working well enough not to try anything else. It takes care of itself, and lets me forget about it, which is exactly what I want. No constant annoying popups.
One product for Internet security, backup and tuneups
I’m a fan of having one product for Internet security, backup, and PC tuneups. BitDefender Total Security is straightforward and easy to use, which is great when you don’t have a lot of time figuring out a new piece of software. It’s a good program.
What you get for the money with BitDefender is unbeatable! Other virus programs that I have tried are not nearly as effective and cost about double.
The great reviews seem to be true!
I decided to try BitDefender because of its great reviews, and I’m happy to say that they all seem to be true. This product is great!
Runs in the background
I’m not that great with computers, but BitDefender is easy to use even for me. The interface is super simple and the product really doesn’t need me to do a thing – it just runs in the background.
Great quality at a lower price
Maybe not quite as good as Kaspersky, but at the price, BitDefender is a great choice. Kaspersky costs more, and with BitDefender I’m getting great quality but at a lower price. I’m definitely satisfied.
Glad I gave a smaller brand a chance
After trying the “security giants” I decided to give a smaller brand a chance. I’m so glad I did! I feel more protected with BitDefender than I ever did with Symantec and McAfee.
Would recommend it to anyone!
When I first installed BitDefender it found a few viruses that my old software hadn’t found! I would recommend it to anyone!
BitDefender Total Security 2015 Screenshots
BitDefender Total Security has a very easy-to-use interface and is perfect for any user. You can install it and forget about it, and unlike other Internet security products, Total Security’s backup and tune up tools also keep your computers running at top performance. Green and red icons in the interface show you the status of your protection. BitDefender Total Security is also easy to customize.
For you to get an idea of the general look of the BitDefender Total Security interface, we have included a few screenshots below. Click to enlarge.
BitDefender Product Comparison
Unless otherwise stated, listed prices are for 1 year, 1-3 users. Multi-user and multi-year licenses available for all products.
Reg. price*, 1 year:
|Internet Security for PCs:The software works with PCs, including Windows 8.||Internet Security for PCs|
|Internet Security for Mac:The software offers Internet Security tools to protect your Mac.||Internet Security for Mac||1||1||1|
|Mobile Internet Security:The software includes mobile security features to protect your smartphone from Internet threats.||Mobile Internet Security|
|Internet Security Features:|
|Malware Protection:Your computer and/or smartphone will be protected from malware, including viruses, Trojans, botnets, rootkits, spyware, and more.||Malware Protection|
|Real-Time Protection:Realtime protection means that the software constantly monitors and checks content as it is created, opened, or copied. Software updates often occur automatically, in order to keep your level of protection completely up-to-date at all times, unless you opt out from this.||Realtime Protection|
|Cloud-Based Protection: In addition to the security features that use your computer, cloud-based Internet Security solutions also utilize the Cloud. This allows for e.g. quicker response time to new Internet threats, which can often be stopped already in the Cloud. Cloud-based technologies also often help lower the use of computer system resources.||Cloud-Based Protection|
|Silent Internet Security:Antivirus software is considered 'silent' if it is or has options for running silently in the background, without constantly reminding the user of its existence. Some people prefer this; others want more interaction. Most software will have options for both.||Silent Protection / Silent Mode|
|Online Banking Features:The software offers features for an additional level of protection while doing online banking, and other sensitive tasks.||Online Banking Features|
|Virtual Keyboard:A virtual keyboard is often a type of popup keyboard on your screen, which shows up on demand or when you are about to enter a keyword. It is meant to protect you from keyloggers. Some software will instead offer other types of keylogging protection, e.g. encryption.||Virtual Keyboard / Keystroke Encryption|
|Identity Theft Protection:The software will protect you from phishing attacks and other attempts at stealing your identity.||Identity Theft Protection|
|Parental Controls:Parental controls will allow you to monitor and restrict what your children do and see online, as well as setup Internet time schedules.||Parental Controls|
|Firewall:A firewall solution prevents unauthorized access to or from a computer and/or a private network. Some Internet Security solutions now utilize (and strengthen) the operating system firewall, rather than offering their own.||Firewall|
|Entertainment Security Features:|
|Social Networking: The software offers tools and features created specifically for the social networking space, including popular websites like Facebook and Twitter. For example, suspicious links may be marked as such, and the software may advice you of any issues with your security settings||Social Networking Protection|
|IM Protection:The software includes tools and features specifically meant to monitor Instant Messaging (IM) programs for suspicious activity and content.||Instant Messaging Protection|
|Gaming Mode: Some software offers a Gaming Mode, appreciated by those who enjoy playing games online. It works by minimizing interruptions and reducing use of computer resources while you are playing games. Only critical notifications will show up on your screen.||Gaming Mode|
|Additional Advanced Security Features:|
|"Secure||Secure Delete / File Shredder|
|Other Advanced and/or Unique Features:|
|Secure Online Storage:Some Internet Security software now come with secure online storage. You'll be able to store important information, and often also access your information from anywhere in the world, even while away from your computer and/or mobile device.||Secure Online Storage||2|
|Computer Backup:Some security software come with built-in computer backup tools, allowing you to backup your important information. In the event of computer failure or other problems, you'll easily be able to recover lost data.||Computer Backup|
|Network Manager:Network Manager features allow you to manage the security of your whole home network from a single location, including configuration, updating and scan scheduling of the software.||Network Manager|
|Computer Tuneup & Optimization:Rather than requiring a separate solution, some Internet Security software include computer tuneup and optimization tools to keep your computer running at peak performance.||Computer Tuneup & Optimization|
|Software Updater:A Software Updater is a rather unique tool in Internet Security software. This type of tool will ensure that all the software installed on your computer is up to date, something that will minimize the risk of vulnerabilities.||Software Updater|
|Remote Access:A rare additional feature in Internet Security software is remote access, allowing you to remotely access your computer from anywhere in the world.||Remote Access|
|Help & Support:|
|Help & Support:The software comes with free customer support. Often, this will include the option of phone, email, or online chat support, but may vary depending on the company.||Help & Support||3||3||3|
|What do you want to do next?|
Reg. price*, 1 year:
|Learn more Add to cart||Learn more Add to cart||Learn more Add to cart|
*Prices listed in this comparison are regular pricing for 1 year, 1-3 users, unless otherwise stated. Potential discounts will be posted on each product page when available.
1. For antivirus software for Mac from BitDefender, see BitDefender Antivirus for Mac.
2. BitDefender Total Security comes with 2GB online storage/backup space, with the option to purchase more space if needed.
3. BitDefender offers chat, forum, and phone support, in addition to regular software documentation, etc.